KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Nov. 18, 2017) – On Saturday, the Mariner men's swimming & diving team opened the 2017-18 campaign by hosting the USMMA Memorial Invitational at the O'Hara Hall Pool. Merchant Marine welcomed in teams from Adelphi, SUNY Maritime, Pace, Queens and Stevens. There were no team scores kept at the event.
USMMA had a total of nine first-place finishes on the day and 12 second-place showings.
Placing first for the Mariners were:
- The 200 medley relay team of sophomore Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.), freshman Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.), classmate Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) and fellow freshman Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) (1:38.48)
- Freshman John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) in the 500 freestyle (4:53.33)
- Freshman Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) in the 100 free (47.82)
- Higgins in the 100 breaststroke (1:00.70)
- Freshman Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) in the one-meter dive (257.55) and the three-meter dive (256.88)
- Welch in the 50 free (21.70)
- Sophomore Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) in the 200 breast (2:16.08)
- And the 400 free relay team of Caelin Weaver, Welch, Cairns and Daniel Moore (3:16.60)
Coming in second place for Merchant Marine were:
- Freshman Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) in the 500 free (4:58.39)
- Welch in the 100 free (48.70)
- Caelin Weaver in the 100 backstroke (55.48)
- Monahan in the 100 breast (1:01.89)
- Rothe in the 200 butterfly (2:02.43)
- Junior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) in the one-meter dive (185.70)
- Daniel Moore in the 50 free (21.97)
- Cairns in the 200 back (2:02.62) and the 200 free (1:48.57)
- Senior Jordan Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) in the 400 individual medley (4:37.61)
- Freshman Calvin Kim (Bellevue, Wash.) in the three-meter dive (168.75)
- And Higgins in the 200 breast (2:20.94)
For the complete results from the USMMA Memorial Invitational, click here.
The Mariners are back in action the weekend of Dec. 1-3, when they travel to Ewing, N.J. to take part in the TCNJ Invitational. More info on that Invite will be available closer to the event.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!