NEW LONDON, Conn. (Jan. 17, 2015) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming and diving team took on rival Coast Guard on Saturday at the Bears' Roland Pool. The Mariner men defeated Coast Guard for the second year in a row by the slim margin of 154-145.
Highlighting the day for the men was senior Kevin Lindgren (Palm City, Fla.) with three individual victories. He touched first in the 100 yard backstroke in 52.64, the 200 back in 1:58.03 and the 200 individual medley in 1:56.11. Lindgren was also a member of the 200 medley relay team along with sophomore Karl Sasse (Frederick, Md.), junior William Kelsik (New Castle, Ind.) and sophomore Austin Butt (Westminster, Md.) that was victorious with a season-best time of 1:35.97 (a one-second improvement).
Sasse and freshman Nick Lambson (Knoxville, Tenn.) recorded two first-place finishes apiece. Sasse won the 100 breaststroke in 59.87 and the 200 breast in 2:12.10, while Lambson touched first in the 1,000 freestyle in 10:17.89 and the 500 free in 4:54.04.
Junior Gerrit Porter (Houston, Texas) won both diving competitions with NCAA qualifying scores, taking the one-meter dive with a score of 282.15 and the three-meter competition with a 306.53.
The following swimmers also recorded season-best times in their respective events:
- Sophomore Kevin Sweetman (Austin, Texas) in the 1,000 free with a 10:23.38 (a 17-second improvement) and the 500 free with a 5:09.25 (a six-second improvement).
- Junior Blair Roberts (South Jordan, Utah) in the 100 breast with a 57.71 (a three-second improvement) and the 200 breast with a 2:05.11 (a seven-second improvement).
- Junior Alex Rodgers (Lake Hopatcong, N.J.) in the 100 breast with a 58.43 (a one-second improvement).
- Sophomore John Terselic (Tijera, N.M.) with two two-second improvements, in the 100 breast with a 1:03.51 and the 200 breast with a 2:16.62.
- Junior Keigan Thompson (Middletown, N.Y.) in the 100 breast with a 1:05.81 (a one-second improvement) and the 200 breast with a 2:24.68 (a three-second improvement).
- Senior Aloysius Vita (Davidsonville, Md.) with a pair of two-second improvements, in the 100 breast with a 1:07.80 and the 200 breast with a 2:34.15.
- Sophomore Joshua Jepsen (San Diego, Calif.) with a one-second improvement in the 200 butterfly in 2:02.80.
- Freshman Jordan Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) in the 200 fly with a 2:01.20 (a three-second improvement) and the 200 IM with a 2:02.49 (a two-second improvement).
- Senior Hunter Rowan (Matthews, N.C.) in the 200 fly with a 2:05.71 (a two-second improvement) and the 200 back with a 2:05.52 (a three-second improvement).
- Butt with a lifetime-best 21.81 in the 50 free and a one-second improvement in the 100 free (47.85).
- Freshman Andrew Jackson (Cheasapeake, Va.) in the 50 free with a 21.97 (a lifetime-best) and the 100 free with a 48.39 (a one-second improvement).
- Sophomore Robert Zagaja (Centerport, N.Y.) in the 200 breast with a 2:18.06 (a three-second improvement).
- And Kelsik with a one-second improvement in the 100 fly with a time of 53.49.
The Mariners return to action this Wednesday night, Jan. 21, with a meet at nearby Old Westbury where the squad will take on the host Panthers as well as the York College Cardinals.