KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 22, 2018) – On Sunday, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's track & field team hosted the annual Coach Omeltchenko Invitational at Brooks Stadium. Prior to the start of the meet, the Mariners recognized their four graduating seniors with a special Senior Day Ceremony honoring Tichina Carmon (Greenville, N.C.), Dominique Pope (Silver Spring, Md.), Kaylee Kilbert (Canfield, Ohio) and Alex Miller (Stevensville, Mich.).
The Mariners also used the meet as head-to-head duals against City College of New York and Lehman – dropping the meet to the CCNY Beavers, 86-72, but defeating the Lightning, 91-47.
The big news of the day was the 4x100m relay team of Pope, sophomore Alexa Vandermeer (Grove Heights, Minn.), Carmon and sophomore Samantha Reinebold (Tampa, Fla.) winning the event with a new Academy record time of 53.55. The bested the previous mark of 53.71 set last year.
Including the 4x100m relay, the Mariners had a total of 10 first and second place finishes on the day. The other nine are listed below.
- Freshman Kitara Smolinski (Bailey, Colo.) in four events – first in the javelin (27.19m), the discus (34.55m) and the hammer (34.15m) and second in the shot put (9.51m)
- Sophomore Anna Lewis (Lakehead, Calif.) in two events – first in the 3000 steeplechase (14:01.41) and the 5000m run (21:50.90)
- Vandermeer came in first in the 400 meter dash (1:03.32)
- Junior Kelsey Ramirez (Stevensville, Mich.) won the 800 meter run (2:31.78)
- and Miller came in second in the discus (31.49m)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners return to action next Sunday, April 29, for the Skyline Conference Championship Meet, hosted by Farmingdale State College.
Receive USMMA Women's Track & Field News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's track & field team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Track E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!