PURCHASE, N.Y. (Dec. 8, 2018) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming team claimed three victories up at a Skyline quad-meet hosted by Purchase College in Westchester County. The Mariners defeated the host Panthers (152-25), Sarah Lawrence (132-55) and St. Joseph's-Long Island (146-40), and improve to a perfect 6-0 overall (6-0 Skyline) on the season.
USMMA won all but two of the 11 events on the day. Listed below were the swimmers who were victorious.
- Freshman Lynden Massey (Friendswood, Texas), junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) and sophomores Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) and Jennifer Stelnicki (Chicago, Ill.) in the 400 medley relay (4:28.38)
- Junior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) in the 1000 free (11:41.91) and the 500 free (5:41.88)
- Kirshner in the 200 free (2:03.68) and the 100 free (56.44)
- Massey in the 50 free (26.71)
- Senior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) in the 200 individual medley (2:28.00)
- Lou in the 200 breaststroke (2:41.75)
- and Stelnicki, junior Marley Rakow (Bishopville, Md.), Grod and Gathy in the 400 free relay (4:04.72)
The following swimmers also achieved season-best times in their respective events at the meet.
- Massey in the 200 back (2:22.27)
- Sophomore Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) in the 500 free (6:24.44)
- Sophomore Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) in the 200 breast (2:48.94)
The complete results from the meet can be viewed at this link.
The Mariners will take a break from dual meet action for the remainder of the 2018 portion of the schedule. They will return to action in the New Year, on Tuesday, Jan. 8, with a road meet at non-conference opponent Hunter. First event is scheduled for 6 p.m. on the campus of Hunter College in Manhattan.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!