KINGS POINT, N.Y. (May 1, 2019) – The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) recently announced the Division III Scholar All-American Awards and among the 261 student-athletes that were recognized were four members of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy – senior Blake Bunce (Trophy Club, Texas), junior Joshua Glantzman (Allenwood, N.J.) and freshmen Billy Sims (Lindenhurst, N.Y.) and Dominick Esposito (Marlboro, N.J.).
In order to become an NWCA Scholar All-American, the following criteria must be met:
- The wrestler must have a GPA of 3.2 or greater for the previous academic year or have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater. Freshmen are eligible, and their GPA from the fall of 2017 must be above 3.2.
- The wrestler must have been at the current school for the entire 2018-19 school year
And the wrestlers must meet at least one of the following wrestling criteria:
- NCAA Qualifier with a winning record
- Place at the NCAA regional while competing in at least half of the team's scheduled competitions and compiling a winning record
- Win at least 67% of his matches while competing in at least 50% of his team's scheduled competitions
This is the third time that Bunce has earned this accolade in his career. In 2018-19, he finished his great career with a fourth-place finish at the NCAA Mideast Regional after being a nationally-ranked heavyweight for a majority of the year.
Glantzman, a back-to-back Centennial Conference Champion, had an All-American season on the mats for the Mariners this year, as he came in fourth place in the nation in the 184-pound bracket at the National Championship Meet back in March.
Sims and Esposito both enjoyed great success for the Mariners during their freshman seasons. Sims came in sixth place at 165 at the NCAA Mideast Regional Meet after finishing third in the Centennial Conference Championship, while Esposito placed seventh at the regional meet in the 174-pound bracket.
For the complete release from the NWCA, click here.
Receive USMMA Wrestling News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA wrestling team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Wrestling E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!