KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Jan. 28, 2019) – The Skyline Conference announced Monday morning that U.S. Merchant Marine Academy freshman Lauren Hunter (Tinley Park, Ill.) was selected to the league's women's basketball weekly honor roll for the week ending Jan. 27. This is the league-leading sixth time that Hunter earned a weekly honor this season, as she was Player of the Week once and Rookie of the Week four times.
Hunter averaged a double-double with 16.0 points and 10.5 rebounds over the Mariners' two Skyline victories last week - at home vs. Sarah Lawrence on Wednesday and on the road at Purchase on Saturday. In a season-low 16 minutes on Wednesday, Hunter recorded a team-high 15 points and eight rebounds, before ending the week with her 13th double-double of the season with 17 points and a game-high 13 rebounds on Saturday.
For the complete release from the Skyline Conference, click here.
The NCAA's weekly national rankings have yet to be updated through this weekend's action, but as of the last ranking summary on Jan. 24, Hunter continued to rank high in the nation in numerous categories. She ranks 11th with 12 double-doubles, 13th with 12.8 rebounds per game, 14th with 5.0 offensive rebounds per game and 24th with a .557 field-goal percentage.
As a team, the Mariners were ranked in the Top-25 in the country in 12 categories (as of Jan. 24). They are listed below.
- First in field-goal percentage defense, holding opponents to 28.8% shooting and also first in scoring defense, holding opponents to just 42.7 points per game
- Third with a +15.5 rebound margin
- Fourth with 11.3 personal fouls per game
- Sixth in three categories – fewest fouls (170), rebounds per game (50.13) and offensive rebounds per game (19.0)
- 10th with 5.8 blocked shots per game
- 13th with a 93.3% win-loss percentage
- 14th in three-point field goal defense, holding opponents to 24.1% shooting from long distance
- 19th with 31.0 defensive rebounds per game
- and 21st with a +18.9 scoring margin
To view the Mariners' complete NCAA statistical rankings through games played on Jan. 24, follow this link.
The Mariners are back in action tomorrow night, Jan. 29, when they play host to Skyline Conference opponent St. Joseph's-Long Island beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the Liebertz Gym. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available with links on the USMMA Women's Basketball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Women's Basketball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's basketball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Basketball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!