NEW LONDON, Conn. (Jan. 19, 2019) – The USMMA men's swimming & diving team suffered a 183-117 road loss to arch-rival #16 Coast Guard on Saturday at the Bears' Roland Pool. The defeat drops the Mariners' record to 5-2 overall on the season, while USCGA improves to 7-1.
Merchant Marine won a total of six events on the afternoon, as junior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) led the way for the Mariners with a team-best two individual victories. He touched first in the 200 breaststroke in a one-second season-best time of 2:06.01 and the 200 individual medley in a three-second season-best time of 1:56.16. His time in the 200 breast broke the Roland Pool record.
Also claiming victory for the Mariners on the day were senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.) in the 100 backstroke (52.67), classmate Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) in the one-meter dive (270.97), sophomore Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) in the 100 freestyle (47.78, a lifetime-best) and classmate Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) in the three-meter dive (257.02).
The following swimmers recorded season-best times at the meet.
- The 200 free relay team of sophomore Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.), Welch, sophomore Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) and junior Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) in 1:25.03 (a 2.5 second increase)
- The 200 medley relay team of Kahl, Monahan, Weaver and Welch in 1:33.73 (a three-second increase)
- Junior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.) in the 200 free by one second (1:47.83) and the 200 breast (2:15.68)
- Freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) in the 100 back by one second (53.31)
- Welch in the 50 free by 0.8 seconds (21.16)
- Freshman Nathan Mathes (Anacortes, Wash.) in the 100 free (49.66) and the 100 butterfly (55.12)
- Sophomore John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) in the 500 free by three seconds (5:01.73)
- Sophomore Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) in the 500 free by 11 seconds (5:01.04)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
Up next, the Mariners will travel to Brooklyn tomorrow for a showdown against Division I opponent St. Francis College. Action is set to get underway at 1 p.m. at the Terriers' Aquatic Center.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!