KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 7, 2018) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swim & dive team defeated visiting Skyline Conference opponent Old Westbury at the O'Hara Hall Pool on Friday night by the score of 116-60. The victory improves the Mariners' record to 2-0 (2-0 Skyline) on the season, while the Panthers fall to 2-6 (0-2 Skyline) in defeat.
In diving action, sophomore Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) hit his second NCAA Qualifying Marks of the season on both the three-meter board, which he won with a score of 302.85, and the one-meter board, which he finished second in with a 293.18. He joins senior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.), as the two Mariners who have qualified for the NCAA Diving Regionals in March – Curry did so last weekend. Curry won the one-meter dive at the meet on Friday night with a score of 295.58, also an NCAA Qualifying Mark.
On the swimming side, the Mariners touched first in all but one event on the night. The winners are listed below.
- The 200 medley relay team of sophomore Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.), freshman Sean Rojas (Westminster, Colo.), senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.) and freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) in 1:43.30
- Sophomore Daniel Fry (Peachtree Corners, Ga.) in the 1000 free in 10:58.29
- Sophomore Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) in the 200 free in 1:54.40
- Rojas in the 200 individual medley in 2:08.88 with his first collegiate win
- Mizell in the 100 butterfly in 55.67 with his first collegiate win
- Freshman Andrew Scherrer (Wellesley, Mass.) in the 100 free in 50.51
- Junior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) in the 100 backstroke in 55.99
- Freshman John Jansen (Valrico, Fla.) in the 500 free in 5:11.24 with his first collegiate win
- Kahl in the 100 breastroke in 1:04.43
- And the 200 free relay team of freshman Nathan Mathes (Anacortes, Wash.), junior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.), Scherrer and sophomore John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) in 1:32.77
The following swimmers also hit season-best times.
- Freshman Nathan Kurr (Dover, N.H.) in the 200 free (1:57.52)
- Sophomore Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) in the 200 IM (2:09.75)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are right back in action tomorrow, when they travel up to Purchase College for more Skyline Conference action against the host Panthers and Sarah Lawrence College. Action is set to get underway at 12-noon.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!