PURCHASE, N.Y. (Jan. 27, 2018) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swim & dive team has won its conference championship meet every year dating back to 1999 and made it 20-straight (17 under head coach Sean Tedesco) with a victory in the 2018 Skyline Championship Meet this weekend. The Mariners tallied 937 points over the two-day event, a good 600-plus points over second place SUNY Maritime (261).
Sophomore Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) earned his second-straight Most Outstanding Performer Award after recording five first-place finishes in the meet (three individual and two relays) and setting three Meet Records. Freshman Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) was named the Rookie of the Year, as he won a total of three events (all individual).
USMMA won all 16 events in the meet. The following Mariners won individual conference championships and earned First Team All-Skyline:
- Junior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.), Monahan, sophomore Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) and freshman Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) in the 200 medley relay (1:37.38)
- Breschi in the 1000 freestyle (10:09.95), the 200 butterfly (2:02.51) and the 500 free (4:55.16)
- Freshman Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) in the 200 free (1:44.56 – Conference Record) and the 100 fly (54.19)
- Kahl in the 100 backstroke (53.77) and the 200 back (1:55.88)
- Monahan in the 100 breaststroke (59.52), the 200 breaststroke (2:07.54 – Meet Record) and the 200 individual medley (1:57.47 – Meet Record)
- Welch in the 50 free (22.21) and the 100 free (49.31)
- Freshman Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) in the one-meter dive (431.00 – NCAA Qualifying Mark) and the three-meter dive (494.45 – NCAA Qualifying Mark) under diving coach Johan C. Lopez
- and junior Matheus Macedo (Elk Grove, Calif.), Dan Moore, Monahan and Welch in the 400 free relay (3:13.94 – Meet Record)
The following Mariners earned Second Team All-Skyline with second place finishes:
- Freshman John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) in the 1000 free (10:09.98), the 200 back (2:01.16) and the 500 free (4:56.36)
- Monahan in the 200 free (1:44.75)
- C. Weaver in the 100 back (55.75)
- Freshman Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) in the 100 breast (1:00.30) and the 100 free (50.50)
- Sophomore Maximilian Haubrich (Grayslake, Ill.) in the 200 fly (2:02.87)
- Dan Moore in the 50 free (22.25)
- Junior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) in the one-meter dive (420.35) and the three-meter dive (431.75), just missing out on NCAA Qualifying Marks
- Sophomore Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.) in the 200 breast (2:13.25) and the 200 IM (2:00.94)
- Freshman Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) in the 100 fly (54.41)
The Mariners return to action on Saturday, Feb. 3, when they travel to Glassboro, N.J. for a non-conference meet against Rowan University. First event is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!