Text-Only Website
Body Background

Mariners lose on late goal to Stevens Tech, 2-1

Mariners lose on late goal to Stevens Tech, 2-1

KINGS POINT, N.Y. – Curtis Stecyk scored off a 30-yard line drive at 77:19 to break a 1-1 tie and lift Stevens Tech to a 2-1 non-conference men's college soccer win over the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Tomb Field on Wednesday night.

The game ended a three-game stretch in which the Mariners (7-5-1) played against three sides that participated in last year's NCAA Division III tournament. They stunned William Paterson, 1-0, on Oct. 4 before falling to Catholic University on Saturday, 2-1.

The Ducks (10-2) are ranked 15th in the most recent D3Soccer.com poll.

"I thought tonight was the best team we played and I thought we played our best match," Kings Point coach Mike Smolens said. "That's a quality team we played and we played very well.

"With some players out, we got some positive performances tonight."

Anthony Roden had given Tech the lead at 18:58, when Mariners midfielder Casey Desiderio (Media, Pa.) tried to clear the ball, but it hit Roden and went into the net past goalkeeper Gary Poulin (Hauppauge, N.Y).

"They scored an unfortunate goal," Smolens said.

Senior forward Andrew MacKenzie (San Diego, Calif.) equalized for the Mariners with his fifth goal at 67:59 off a quick pass from defender Josh Reicks (Katy, Texas), past goalkeeper Paul Killian.

Poulin made five saves for the hosts, Killian one.

The Mariners will play their final three matches of the regular season against Landmark Conference opponents starting against Moravian College on Homecoming and Senior Day, starting Saturday at 6 p.m.

They will host Drew University on Wednesday, Oct. 19 before completing their schedule at Susquehanna at noon on Saturday, Oct. 22.

Three of the Mariners' five losses have come against NCAA tournament teams. All five defeats have been by one goal.

"The reason why we played the New York University's and Stevens Tech's is that we are prepared for our conference games," Smolens said.

Photo: Josh Reicks set up Andrew MacKenzie's goal at 67:59.