KINGS POINT, N.Y. (March 27, 2018) – A trio of USMMA baseball student-athletes earned recognitions for their contributions to the Mariners' 4-0 week during the week ending March 25. The Skyline Conference announced on Monday that freshman Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) was named the Player of the Week and classmate Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) earned Rookie of the Week accolades, while junior Andrew Spinnenweber (Pasadena, Md.) landed on the weekly honor roll. And then on Tuesday, the Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) selected Alteri and Raab for those same awards for its DIII Metro Region.
Alteri led the Mariners with a .545 batting average and a .818 slugging percentage over four games last week. He knocked in four runs and scored three times, while also recording two extra-base hits - a double and a triple. In a Skyline victory over Mount St. Vincent on Sunday night, the rookie was a perfect 3-for-3 with two RBIs and a run scored. He also stole two bases on the week.
Raab earned his fourth victory of the season with yet another complete game shutout, as the Mariners downed Mount St. Vincent, 10-0, in seven innings in the first game of a Skyline doubleheader on Sunday night. He carried a no-hitter into the seventh inning and allowed just two hits in the game, while striking out 11 and not allowing a single walk. The Dolphin batters hit just .087 against the rookie.
Spinnenweber pitched six dominant innings, striking out 11 and allowing just two hits to earn a combined shutout victory on Sunday night in the Mariners' 8-0 second-game win over Mount St. Vincent. It was his fourth victory of the season, which ties Raab for the team lead.
Among all Skyline pitchers, Raab and Spinnenweber are tied with five other hurlers with a league-leading four wins and are the only two pitchers with two complete games, with Raab being the only pitcher in the league with two solo shutouts. Spinnenweber leads the conference with 41 strikeouts and Raab is right behind in second with 40.
Alteri ranks eighth in the Skyline with a .425 batting average, while his two triples tie for third and his .520 on-base percentage is good for eighth in the league.
Seven other Mariners are ranked among the Skyline statistical leaders. They are listed below.
- Senior Michael Barnes (Alexandria, Va.) in six categories – first with 17 RBIs and 23 hits, tied for first with three triples, tied for third with five doubles, fourth with a .627 slugging percentage and tied for seventh with 13 runs
- Junior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) in five categories – tied for second with 22 hits, tied for third with 16 runs, tied for fifth with 13 RBIs, tied for sixth with six triples and eighth with eight stolen bases.
- Freshman Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.) in three categories – second with 18 runs, tied for second with 14 RBIs and tied for sixth with nine walks
- Senior Jacob Sithong (Orlando, Fla.) in two categories – tied for second with nine stolen bases and tied for third with two triples
- Junior Jesse Reinebold (Granger, Ind.) is tied for second with 14 RBIs.
- Senior Justus Martin (Eaton, Colo.) is third in the conference with 20 strikeouts.
- Junior John Kelly Jr. (Apex, N.C.) is one of four pitchers that are tied for second with two saves on the year.
For the complete release from the Skyline Conference, click here. For the ECAC's weekly awards release, follow this link. You can view the Skyline statistical rankings at this link. (The NCAA national statistical rankings have not been updated yet this week.)
Up next, the Mariners will host non-conference opponent John Jay tomorrow, Wednesday, March 28. Action is set to get underway at 4:15 p.m. at Lower Roosevelt Field. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!