The philosophy of the Department of Physical Education and Athletics is consistent with the mission of the United States Merchant Marine Academy. The athletic program plays an integral part in helping the Academy to achieve this mission. Through participation in athletics, qualities such as leadership, industriousness, resourcefulness, loyalty, sportsmanship, cooperation and responsibility are developed. As a result, young men and women are “given the tools” to achieve success and become future leaders in our nation.
The athletic program competes at the NCAA Division III level and is guided by its principles. The highest priority is placed on the overall quality of the educational experience and the objectives of the program, which must be met while working within the NCAA Division III framework.
Among the objectives of the athletics program are:
- To provide midshipmen with a variety of opportunities to
participate in organized sport.
- To assist every Midshipman in achieving a “total person” concept. This enhances the development of the social, emotional, physical and mental aspects of each person, and helps improve an individual’s quality of life.
- To work within the guidelines, rules, and regulations for participation in a particular activity.
- To encourage scholarship, sportsmanship, fair play and a sense of responsibility among all athletes, staff and spectators at all athletic events.
- To field disciplined and competitive athletes and teams, which promotes a positive image of the Academy.
- To provide all midshipmen the means to achieve their goals through quality administration, coaching, medical support staff, equipment and facilities, while working within the guidelines of the institution and the NCAA.
- To schedule appropriate competition for all athletes and teams.
- To promote the development of self-confidence, competitiveness and discipline through fair competition.
- To promote the general welfare of the institution by providing activities that inspire Academy pride and encourage interaction among midshipmen, faculty, staff, alumni, family, friends and the community.
- To recruit and assist the Admissions Department in recruiting quality student-athletes for the Academy.
To provide midshipmen with a broad range of varsity, intramural, club and physical fitness activities that support the “total person” concept.
Department of Physical Education and Athletics Objectives
- To provide the midshipmen with a variety of opportunities to
participate in intercollegiate athletics.
- To enhance the development of the social, emotional, physical and mental aspects of each Midshipman through activity, thus improving the quality of life for them.
- To encourage scholarship, sportsmanship, fair play and a sense of responsibility amongst all athletes, staff and spectators at all athletic events.
- Develop habits of regular physical activities that improve physical ability.
- To encourage followership – working together for a common goal; knowing and understanding your role; taking orders.
- To provide a physical education program that supports the graduation and STCW requirements for every major.
- To meet and maintain physical requirements set forth by the institution and Naval PRT.
- To provide the midshipmen with a variety of club sport activities.